The objectives of ZSI are classified as follows:
- Exploration, Survey, Inventorying and Monitoring of faunal diversity in various
- States, Ecosystems and Protected areas of India.
- Taxonomic studies of all faunal components collected.
- Periodic review of the Status of Threatened and Endemic species.
- Preparation of Red Data Book, Fauna of India and Fauna of States.
- Bioecological studies on selected important communities/species.
- Preparation of databases for the recorded species of the country.
- Maintenance & Development of National Zoological Collections.
- Training, Capacity Building and Human Resource Development.
- Faunal Identification, Advisory services and Library Services.
- Publication of results including Fauna of India and Fauna of States.
- Environmental Impact Studies.
- Maintenance and Development of Museum at Headquarters and Regional Stations.
- Development of ENVIS and CITES Centers.
- Research Fellowship, Associateship and Emeritus Scientist Programmes.
- Collaborative research programmes on Biodiversity with other Organizations.
- GIS and Remote Sensing studies for animal diversity as well as for selected threatened
- Chromosomal Mapping and DNA finger printing.